Sunday, January 15, 2012

Shiver

There’ve been a lot of books written about wolves, but usually they’re not really truthful, I mean, everything’s over the top and even if the plotline is amusing, it’s literally too hard to believe it to be realistic. But I guess it’s why they call it fiction and they’re considered fantasy novels. Maggie Stiefvater, an american novelist, has written a series named „The Wolves of Mercy Falls“ and she’s used the basic laws of nature really well in her writings. The story of the wolves felt real, because:
  1. There is no bloodline-curse or anything like that (Twilight e.g.). One changes after one’s been bitten.
  2. The change itself is based on temperature (and seasons): the more colder it is (and little cold breezes affect one, too), the more likelihood that one will change to a wolf, during summertime one can be a human.. The more one’s been a wolf (umm.. the more time it’s past from being bitten), the less time one can spend time as a human, which means that by every change one  will stay longer as a wolf and at one point, one will never change back to human. Kind of tragic, I think.
There are 3 books and Stiefvater has stated that there will be no other (although, she made a joke on her facebook page, where she claimed that there will be a fourth book called „Litter“ coming soon, but I advise not to believe it, because it was meant as a joke (April, 1)). The three books are, as followed:
  1. „Shiver“
  2. „Linger“
  3. „Forever“

„Shiver“

For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf—her wolf—is a chilling presence she can’t seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human… until the cold makes him shift back again.
Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It’s her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human—or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever.


I liked the first novel the best, it was quite original and gripping. At first, I was pretty sceptical and thought that the love story between Sam and Grace was moving too fast, but it didn’t bother me a bit while reading. I’ve read „My Sister’s Keeper“ by Jodi Picoult and I wasn’t a huge fan of the writing style in that particular book. I didn’t like that it was written in different people’s points of view and I felt like I ouldn’t connect with the characters when there were too many to connect with (all of the family members, the lawyer and the socialworker). This book was much easier to relate to. It was written in both – Sam’s and Grace’s – point of view and it contributed to the storyline. It was easier to cheer them on and to feel for them. Easier to understand their actions and feelings, their past and present. I liked that neither of them was perfect or okay, one was tortured by one’s parents in one’s childhood and it still haunts one. The other one is 17, yes, but had to grow up quickly, is independent and a lot of the time has to be the parent to one’s parents. They help each other and are there for each other. Not needing or wanting anything else, than just somebody to love and adore, someone, who’s willing to listen and comfort. They find it in each other and while reading, I really didn’t want it to end, but I knew that there were some things even love cannot conquer. I was pleasently suprised by the ending and while it binded all the loose ends, it also left room for your own imagination. It was touching. I thought that this should have been just this book and no more, I don’t regret reading the other two, but they, honestly, didn’t reach the level set by „Shiver“. When you do not want to read all of the three books, I highly recommend the first one. By the way, I thought the cover is absolutely beautiful, breath taking and it really catched my eye! It’s one of my favourite covers.

Book trailer. Rate: 5/5

Reading order:
  1. „Shiver“
  2. „Linger“
  3. „Forever“

No comments:

Post a Comment