Saturday, February 18, 2012

Clockwork Prince

Supposedly it's James Carstairs on the cover
In the magical underworld of Victorian London, Tessa Gray has at last found safety with the Shadowhunters. But that safety proves fleeting when rogue forces in the Clave plot to see her protector, Charlotte, replaced as head of the Institute. If Charlotte loses her position, Tessa will be out on the street and easy prey for the mysterious Magister, who wants to use Tessa's powers for his own dark ends. 

With the help of the handsome, self-destructive Will and the fiercely devoted Jem, Tessa discovers that the Magister's war on the Shadowhunters is deeply personal. He blames them for a long-ago tragedy that shattered his life. To unravel the secrets of the past, the trio journeys from mist-shrouded Yorkshire to a manor house that holds untold horrors, from the slums of London to an enchanted ballroom where Tessa discovers that the truth of her parentage is more sinister than she had imagined. When they encounter a clockwork demon bearing a warning for Will, they realize that the Magister himself knows their every move and that one of their own has betrayed them. 

Tessa finds her heart drawn more and more to Jem, though her longing for Will, despite his dark moods, continues to unsettle her. But something is changing in Will; the wall he has built around himself is crumbling. Could finding the Magister free Will from his secrets and give Tessa the answers about who she is and what she was born to do? 

As their dangerous search for the Magister and the truth leads the friends into peril, Tessa learns that when love and lies are mixed, they can corrupt even the purest heart.


The second book of “The Infernal Devices“ is named “ClockorkPrince“. I know, that some people think that it’s a failure compared to the first one, but in my opinion, CP was much, much better.
  1. It did not drag on
  2. It was unexpected, at times
  3. The relationships were much more complicated
I’ve written down many notes and I’m going on with them in a minute, before that I’d just like to say that I’m glad I read the sequel, because the first one did not impress me that much and now I’m so looking forward to the third and final one (2013).
So. On the love triangle. I wanted to cheer on Jem and I’m still keeping my fingers crossed for him I think. He’s so symathetic and human, caring, friendly. He’s a great friend material. He’s a great relationship material. Other than that, I cannot deny the butterflies in my stomach caused by William, not James. James is all one could ever wish for and any girl would be happy to have him, but it does not mean that there’s a Jem for everyone in the world. That special someone could be anyone. Someone, who understands you completely, who you feel comfortable even during silence and sho completes you. Who understands you without any words spoken out loud. Will and Tessa have that connection and as much as I do not want to admit it, they’re made for each other. Parallels from young adult fiction can be drawn from many relationships, Rose’s and Dimitri’s is one of them. They’re soulmates and although I  l o v e  Adrian, he’s not the one for Rose.
Some of the reades think that Tessa’s weak and featherbrained, but I get her on some levels. She does not know why Will insults him all of the time and, at the same time, we, as readers, are inside of Williams head and know what he’s going trough. Tess doesn’t. Therefore, it’s hard to blame Theresa, because she cannot take the endless insults, she wants to move on. The last scene between only Tess and Will is heartreaking.
On some levels I’m bothered because of the parallels between TMI and ID, such as Jace covering Clary’s body in order to keep her getting hurt from the collapse of the Wayland manor and Will covering Tessa with his body to keep her from dying. There’s more, but maybe it’s somehow related to them being relatives? No? Anyway, it’s disturbing and I’d like to read more original thoughts.
Okay, I’m officially a fan girl. Really. Magnus Bane is the best part of the series.
I’d like an answer to two questions, which will be answered in the third part of the series (“Clockwork Princess“):
  1. Tessa – what is she?
  2. What’s the deal with the clockwork angel Tessa’s wearing all the time?
Excerpts:

“Reparations,“ said Jem very suddenly, setting down the pen he was holding.
Will looked at him in puzzlement. “Is this a game? We just blurt out whatever word comes next to mind? In that case mine’s ’genuphobia.’ It means an unreasonable fear of knees.“
“What’s the word for perfectly reasonable fear of annoying idiots?“ inquired Jessamine.

“Perhaps we could say she’s a mad maiden aunt who insists on chaperoning us everywhere.“
“My aunt or yours?“ Jem inquired.
“Yes, she doesn’t really look like either of us, does she? Perhaps she’s a girl who’s fallen madly in love with me and persists in following me whereever I go.“
“My talent is shape-shifting, Will, not acting,“ said Tessa, and at that, Jem laughed out loud. Will glared at him.

Book trailer. Rate: 4/5.

Reading order:
  1. Clockwork Angel
  2. Clockwork Prince
  3. Clockwork Princess (2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment