Monday, June 10, 2013

Review: If I Stay by Gayle Forman

Title: If I Stay (If I Stay #1)
Author: Gayle Forman
Published: April 2nd 2009
Add It: Goodreads
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | The Book Depository

In a single moment, everything changes. Seventeen-year-old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall riding along the snow-wet Oregon road with her family. Then, in a blink, she finds herself watching as her own damaged body is taken from the wreck...
A sophisticated, layered, and heart-achingly beautiful story about the power of family and friends, the choices we all make, and the ultimate choice Mia commands.

This is a book that I added to my TBR shelf when I first opened an account on GR and that was over a year ago. I had seen it in my local book store more than once and I even had it on wishlist on TBD. When I finally got it in paperback, I put it away on my shelf. God, I was such a tool! Seriously, this book!! This book is full of great things and it’s my loss that I hadn’t read it sooner. Better late then never though;-)

“Sometimes you make choices in life and sometimes choices make you.” 

Gayle Forman is a writer that has captured my attention, heart with only one book just as Willow Aster, Maggie Stiefvater, Colleen Hoover, Priscilla Glenn, Katja Millay, Trisha Wolfe, Nyrae Dawn and Wendy Higgins did. She is fenomenal! If I Stay will be forever a favorite of mine. Henry, Gramps, Teddy, Willow, Mia’s parents, Kim, Adam – every single one of them equals love for me.

Also, this was a serious case of ugly crying for me. When that Coldplay song was mentioned – my gawwddd!! J'adore me some Coldplay! It’s always a risky move to mention a song in a book, especially with so known melodies and lyrics, because the song may overpower the scene, but in this case it was perfecto! The scene where Mia’s Gramps sat on her bedside... I was lucky I saw a few words through the blur, caused by the mist in my eyes, and it was enough to put together the sentences – that’s how much this book affected me.

It’s a book I will re-read back to back many, many times and I recommend If I Stay at least a thousand multiply infinity times LOL. It not only gives you the opportunity to drain yourself by releasing a heavy case of emotions, but makes you think about life and the choices we make, hiding from reality, loving and caring enough to carry on. It’s a powerful story and yes, please do read it! You won’t regret it, I promise:)

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

Meet the author

Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads

17 comments:

  1. Rereading and the case of the ugly cry brings me right into!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you finally picked this one up. I LOVE when I discover a new favorite that has been out for a while, but I hadn't read it until now. This book is so powerful, and wait until you read WHERE SHE WENT. It's even better!!!!! Ahhhh. I love that one so so much. Plus it has more of a new adult/older feel to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just so blown away by this one and it was indeed so very powerful. Loved every second of this one:)

      Delete
  3. Yayyyy! So happy to see that this one worked so well for you too! I absolutely adored this book but I think if I had to pick which I liked the best I would pick Where She Went, so I can't wait to see your review for that one. Fabulous review girl, I love me some Coldplay too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually kinda picked this up because of you and your love for Gayle Forman in one of your BGDC posts. I am just sooooo in love with this book and Forman's writing:)

      Delete
  4. Confession: I have not read anything by Gayle Forman Siiri. I FAIL! Everyone has been telling me to read this book, and because I fear the ugly crying that will happen while reading, I've been putting it off over and over again. I know it's my loss, just like you said, and one of these days I'm going to put on my big girl panties, grab some tissues, and dive into this book! So glad you loved it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO WAY!!!!! I thought you as the like.. queen of the readers since you read so much and have read so many books had read it already, but wow! You definitely need to pick this up, my freind! It'll bring you to your knees, but it's so so so worth it:)

      Delete
  5. Aw, I've had this series for over a year now and still haven't read them! I did get them signed in May, so that's something, right? Your review has me so excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could get mine signed too;) I hope you'll pick these up soon though, they're absolutely brilliant!

      Delete
  6. I've had this book sitting on my shelves for going on three years. What I'm gathering from your review is that I should stop being a tool and read it. I tend to shy away from books that make me ugly cry, but I'm sure I'll pick this up sometime. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Three years :D That's LOOOONG! It was a great read and I hope you'll read them soon, Natalie:) Thank you!

      Delete
  7. Yay Siiri I'm so happy that you loved this book too! Gayle is one heck of a talented author! Although I did adore this book I think Where She Went left a much greater impression with me, so I can't wait to hear your thoughts on that book when you pick it up. Lovely review! Also *high five* as I love Coldplay too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *highs five* Coldplay rocks!! I knwo, Gayle Forman has seriously become one of my favorite authors. She's adorable and her writing is beautiful:) Thehee, you'll see my thoughts on Where She Went soon:)

      Delete
  8. Haha. Well, we're not all supposed to like the same books LOL. I know what you mean by describing Mia's attitude. I think she was just afraid he'd love music more than he'd love her though, but we'll never know for sure. I was just so emotional throughout the entire book. It was brilliant, in my opinion:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also love Coldplay! :D I've seen her books many times and a couple of times I almost picked it up: now I know that I need to read it soon. Great review :D

     Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVED this one too, Siiri!! Even if it did make me ugly cry as well. Oh my heart and the next one is better, IMO. I read it and then listened to the audio version, which is amazing! Wonderful review! :)

    ReplyDelete