Thursday, October 31, 2013

Review: Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood

Title: Born Wicked (The Cahill Witch Chronicles #1)
Author: Jessica Spotswood
Published: February 7th 2012
Add It: Goodreads
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | The Book Depository

Everybody knows Cate Cahill and her sisters are eccentric. Too pretty, too reclusive, and far too educated for their own good. But the truth is even worse: they’re witches. And if their secret is discovered by the priests of the Brotherhood, it would mean an asylum, a prison ship—or an early grave.
Before her mother died, Cate promised to protect her sisters. But with only six months left to choose between marriage and the Sisterhood, she might not be able to keep her word... especially after she finds her mother’s diary, uncovering a secret that could spell her family’s destruction. Desperate to find alternatives to their fate, Cate starts scouring banned books and questioning rebellious new friends, all while juggling tea parties, shocking marriage proposals, and a forbidden romance with the completely unsuitable Finn Belastra.
If what her mother wrote is true, the Cahill girls aren’t safe. Not from the Brotherhood, the Sisterhood—not even from each other.

Whenever I pick up a book, I usually look at the average rating of my friends on Goodreads, because I only accept/request friends whom I have similar taste in books, therefore, I usually enjoy the same books that the majority of my friends seem to have liked as well. This happened with Born Wicked. I seldom read books about witches, but this novel held a tiny bit of literary magic in its pages with writing, plot and characters.


"To protect the people I love, I'd do it all over again."

The most intriguing part of the book was the prophecy and I loved watching Cate develop friendships with other young witches whom I didn’t know to suspect [being witches] at first. When we got to know them a little better, I realized that they had an agenda of their own, but I wasn’t sure if it was good or bad. Also, the prophecy part was sooo alluring. I found myself wanting to know more and more about it, even though I guessed the ending of the prophecy as soon as it was revealed in its not-entire form. It reminded me somewhat of The Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink, but it’s not that complex nor is it gothic, but the problem is that it will be true no matter what and it has deadly consequences for some people. I’m afraid for Cate and her loved ones.

Since the witchery is forbidden, a lot of time is spent on Cate worrying about her future. She falls recklessly in love with a basically forbidden love interest while her childhood friend declares his love for her and asks her hand. If she doesn’t make her choice soon, according to the rules, her choice of husband isn’t hers to make, but the brotherhood’s and Cate doesn’t want to be married to a guy the same age as her dad. Talk about awkward, right?!

The romance is quite a steamy one considering it’s the era of 1890. I loved it though. Yes, I’ve heard the complaints about there being not that much witchery stuff, but honestly, I didn’t mind the romance at all in this case, but let's bare in minds that these three young sisters are just coming to their powers. The romance goes well with Cate’s inner struggle to be true to herself, be a good sister and keep her promise to her mom without being discovered by the brotherhood. Plus, there’s the sisterhood which wants her all to themselves. I felt Cate’s struggles and worries and she became a dare character to me. I most definitely want to know what happens next for this young, courageous, sweet heroine of ours.

I’d say that it’s foremost a romance story right now with witchery elements and an historical environment surrounding it. I don’t mind at all though, because I found the romance to be beautiful and everything worked well for me in this case. I loved this lovely, poetic and gorgeous writing style as well. Dude, I can’t wait to know what happens next! That ending? All these intrigues? Oh, boy. I. Want. More. If you want to explore some stories about witches and magic, be sure to give this series a try.

Oh, and I listened to the audio version which the narrator managed very well. She was a joy to listen to.

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars



By the way, doesn't this book have a gorgeous trailer? It's awesome!

Meet the author

Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads

15 comments:

  1. This is another book which I had completely fobbed off earlier this year, I'm a real picky reader when it comes to reading paranormal books of any sort, I think it's just the case that I've been burned too many time. But thinking about it now, I don't think I've read a book about witches before. But you know me I do like a good romance, and I think the one in this one I will find highly appealing! ;) Thanks Siiri you've just added another book to my tbr! Gorgeous review lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, me too! It's not that I don't like PNR novels, but they tend to lack something. Plus, all these vampires, angels and wolves are getting a tad tiresome after having read them throughout my teenage years. I don't recall if I've read about witches other than The Prophecy of the Sisters which I liked a lot. I can't wait to read what happens next and I hope you enjoy this one once you pick it up :) Thanks hon!

      Delete
  2. I actually like that this is more romance than witch story Siiri, you know how much I love my romance! I do like the witch aspect because I haven't read many books about witches, and I'm sure that element will become more and more prominent as the series continues, but of course for now I'm satisfied with the romance being front and center:) Definitely need to make time for this one!!!!! Lovely review sweets:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, I do! I hadn't either and you know what? It's in a historical setting and has plenty of witchery going on, but it's not about a unique world building or these awesome creatures etc, it's more about the forbidden magic, forbidden romance and taboos of this particular society so I don't mind the romance at all what with being the main plot element next to magic. I hope you give it a try, I can totally see you enjoying this gorgeous title. Thanks, lovely!

      Delete
  3. The prophecy and friendship building sounds great

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yay! I'm so excited that you enjoyed this one, Siiri. Just got a gift card today, so I guess this is one of the books I'll be buying! :)
    I don't mind the focus being on the romance because like you said, it seems that girls are only coming to know about their powers. I like witch books and there aren't many out there, so I think I'll like this one.
    Lovely review, Siiri!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thehee. It was a gorgeous love story and I'm still surprised over some of the twists and turns that happened with the plot in general. I can't wait to read the next one. Thanks, sweets!

      Delete
  5. I love that trailer. That's probably the only book I've ever gotten b/c of a trailer. I haven't read BW yet, but after your review I want to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a great trailer. It was actually the thing that gave me the final push to read the book:)

      Delete
  6. I have got this book on my to-read list well since it came out. (I probably have it somewhere on my reader too - I'm such a horrible human being sometimes). Anyhow I'm so glad you enjoyed it and it means I'll be reading it soon. But the most interesting thing to me here is the trailer - I haven't seen it before but wow did it blow me away. I don't usually like trailers but this one is great. Thanks for sharing it and great review Siiri :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have it, read it, Tanja! I don't know how you'll enjoy it in general, but I'm pretty sure you will like the romance :) Heh. It's an amazing trailer, indeed :) Thanks hon!

      Delete
  7. I've always loved this cover, Siiri! I don't mind that this is more of a romance with a bit of witchery in it, because I love my romances, lol! I think I'll wait until the final book is released to pick up this series. I hate the wait between books! I think the 2nd one is out but not the 3rd. Wonderful review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely don't mind a heavy romance element! It sounds like this story has 2 guys but only one is a real contender? I agree with Aman, I love a good forbidden romance. Plus witches, a prophecy, sisters and history too! I'd like to start this series before the final comes out. Glad you enjoyed this overall.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ugh, I totally forgot about this book - I have it, but thee is always something else that I have to read.:(

    Great review.

    ReplyDelete